Tuesday, 1 September 2009

My 3rd Argus

This week feels as if I completed my third Argus Cycle Race - aches and pains all over! I can clearly remember the day after my first Argus - my knees hurt so much I could barely walk. This week I feel the same, though every day is 100% better then the previous.

This round of chemo, and for the next three rounds, I am receiving Taxol. One of the main side effects are aching or pain in joints and muscles. Luckily, only for a few days. The other side effect, numbness or tingling in hands and feet worry me more, because those can take up to a few months to go away. But these are all temporary.

Last Saturday I met a four year old little boy, Owen. All friendly and smiles. Owen had a brain tumor that was removed and is currently receiving very intense chemo. He has to be in hospital for this. My heart wanted to break into a million pieces when I listened to his mom telling his story. He is doing well, but each new day holds new information and a lot of times not so good. It was then that I realised that I'd rather travel this road myself then to see one of my children go through this. And yet, we have no control over this. It can happen to anyone at any time.

That is why it is so important to be sensitive, all the time. You never know what someone is going through unless you walked a day in their shoes. This cancer road has definitely taught me that.

I hope everyone in sunny South Africa is having a fantastic spring day. And that the good weather for the day will be an indication of a blissful summer lying ahead! Enjoy every moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment