Thursday, 13 August 2009

Smiles from my toes

Chemo number four is overs-cadovers!! I am very relieved and happy that I've reached the halfway mark. I took cup cakes to celebrate this occasion and the nurses enjoyed every bit. They are all doing such a great job and try to make every patient as comfortable as possible.

Now I honestly have to say the chemo has not been as bad as the movie "Dying Young" with Julia Roberts. I feel a bit grey and look pale from the Wednesday of the treatment and this lasts to the Sunday. The Saturday is my low point. I think that it's because of the injection that I receive on a Friday morning to help build up the white blood cells and my immunity. By the next Wednesday I feel 100% human again and one week later when I feel in tip-top condition, they hit me with another session. Next time the doctor will add a drug called Taxol. This will add about three hours to the treatment session.

Speaking of Roberts-ladies, I made a cancer friend trough my dad-in-law, Fiona Roberts. They used to be colleagues at Sasol. She, as so many other woman are my inspiration. Their stories of courage and bravery warms my heart every day.

Fiona was diagnosed with breast cancer before the age of 30, busy planning her wedding. Her most beautiful day. She went through six sessions of chemo, the operation and radio therapy. At the end she had her big day and afterwards the blessing of children (which is a big thing because 50% of woman receiving chemo are left sterile after treatment). Today she is in remission (no signs of cancer)! I am so proud of her!

She sent me an e-mail after hearing about my situation. I was so glad that she got hold of me. She gave me invaluable advise and encouraged me so much before the road started. She also sent a gift - nail polish! She said to put it on my toe nails, so that every time I look down I will be receiving ten smiles back! So, while I travel this road of cancer treatment I'll be wearing my red nail polish and receiving my ten smiles a few times each day!

Thank you all again for my lovely messages - this, together with prayers from all over are really carrying me trough this journey! XXX

1 comment:

  1. Lourika, dis werklik ongelooflik inspirerend dat jy hierdie slegte ding met soveel lewensvreugde aanpak. You go girl. Groete Tanya Vorster.

    ReplyDelete