Long time, no blog.... We had a great time in SA. Three weeks of family, friends, boerekos and lots of spoiling! Just what my spirit needed to get ready for the show (that is starting 23 June). The boys were impeccable on the flight to OR Tambo and my parents very excited to see us. I felt so much at home, especially with all the taxis blocking the road and stopping anywhere they can.
Just before we left for SA, I had gone for the core breast biopsy. I can compare that to a visit to the dentist. They numb the area and take what they need via a nice thick needle. Five pieces of tissue would to the trick to test for the type of cancer, aggressiveness and the treatment-plan. I decided to not do the bone scan in the UK, as I would have been full of "radiation" and it is not advisable to be close to little children or pregnant woman - the metal detectors would have also gone off at Heathrow.... So I did my bone scan in SA. I left with a clean slate (well, bone structure). I felt blessed.
I also decided to see a physiotherapist, Willie Fourie, who is a specialist in the after care of breast reconstruction. He is a wonderfully warm and kind man and answered a lot of my questions. He explained the working of the lymph nodes and went through all the different reconstruction options and the pros and cons of each. He also referred me to Dr. Carol-Ann Benn at the Milpark Centre of Excellence Breast Clinic. Carol-Ann is a fantastic doctor and advised me so well on many aspects of the treatment, especially regarding cancer in younger woman. After our chat, I felt relaxed and confident to carry on with treatment in the UK (She knows the St. Bart's Breast Clinic as well as my UK oncologist, Dr. Alison Jones very well).
After a week or two I was completely bombarded by information (all my own fault... Knowledge is power, blah, blah, blah....) and decided to cancel my appointment with the oncologist. I didn't know what to ask them??? Anyway, three women phoned me out of the blue - either in the middle of treatment or just finished the road to hell and back. It was such a blessing to be able to chat to women who knew exactly what I was going through. They encouraged me in a way that only women to this new "little secret club" could. I really hope an pray that none of you reading this, would ever have to take up membership....
And just as things started to settle nicely, Hugo ended up in hospital. The po
or little chap was so ill with pneumonia, that he stayed there for four nights. After that, we kept him indoors and on his bum (in front of Nils Holgerson at Ouma Ronel's house). Unfortunately that meant that we had to cancel some dates - sorry guys, we'll catch up next time. That will probably be with my new (not) hairdo!
We are now safely back in London. Tomorrow, 23 June I will see the specialist and the oncologist. 24 June is my birthday. I'll be 33 and I have breast cancer. Pray with me that by the time I turn 34, this journey would only have been a detour on the road of life.
Just before we left for SA, I had gone for the core breast biopsy. I can compare that to a visit to the dentist. They numb the area and take what they need via a nice thick needle. Five pieces of tissue would to the trick to test for the type of cancer, aggressiveness and the treatment-plan. I decided to not do the bone scan in the UK, as I would have been full of "radiation" and it is not advisable to be close to little children or pregnant woman - the metal detectors would have also gone off at Heathrow.... So I did my bone scan in SA. I left with a clean slate (well, bone structure). I felt blessed.
I also decided to see a physiotherapist, Willie Fourie, who is a specialist in the after care of breast reconstruction. He is a wonderfully warm and kind man and answered a lot of my questions. He explained the working of the lymph nodes and went through all the different reconstruction options and the pros and cons of each. He also referred me to Dr. Carol-Ann Benn at the Milpark Centre of Excellence Breast Clinic. Carol-Ann is a fantastic doctor and advised me so well on many aspects of the treatment, especially regarding cancer in younger woman. After our chat, I felt relaxed and confident to carry on with treatment in the UK (She knows the St. Bart's Breast Clinic as well as my UK oncologist, Dr. Alison Jones very well).
After a week or two I was completely bombarded by information (all my own fault... Knowledge is power, blah, blah, blah....) and decided to cancel my appointment with the oncologist. I didn't know what to ask them??? Anyway, three women phoned me out of the blue - either in the middle of treatment or just finished the road to hell and back. It was such a blessing to be able to chat to women who knew exactly what I was going through. They encouraged me in a way that only women to this new "little secret club" could. I really hope an pray that none of you reading this, would ever have to take up membership....
And just as things started to settle nicely, Hugo ended up in hospital. The po
We are now safely back in London. Tomorrow, 23 June I will see the specialist and the oncologist. 24 June is my birthday. I'll be 33 and I have breast cancer. Pray with me that by the time I turn 34, this journey would only have been a detour on the road of life.
PS. The photos are of Ivan (14 months) "riding" a hippo at a friend's house and Hugo (3 and a half) in Krugersdorp Private Hospital.
No comments:
Post a Comment