On Wednesday 13 May, the day after I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I wake up early. Suddenly I wish it was yesterday, as yesterday I did not have cancer yet.
We write an e-mail to our closest friends, and over the weekend Andries sends out his "London Bulletin" where he also breaks the news. Messages of support, prayers and so many success stories of victory over cancer stream in, and we cry some more. Andries informs his boss, and he pledges his full support during this difficult time.
The next two weeks are filled with tests. Mammogram, MRI scan on the breasts and chest, CT scan on the liver and lungs, core breast biopsy and a bone scan. We also talk to an oncologist in South Africa, and she provides valuable guidance. She is the sister of someone in my parents-in-law's care group - the Lord works in wonderful ways!
Andries' aunt Elizabeth visits us during this time - a trip that she book long ago. She helps with the kids and the household, and it was great to have her around.
On Friday 22 May I see Mr Carpenter (fitting name, isn't it?)- a general surgeon specialising in breast surgery (removal and reconstruction). He had a look at most of the results and reckons that the tumour is close to 4 centimetres in diameter, and located so deep in the tissue that a mastectomy is quite likely. He wants to start with a series of chemotherapy treatments, and then perform the surgery. He lifts my spirit with his plan of action, and I feel positive about the road ahead.
Throughout this time we keep on receiving messages of support and prayers, and I just know that God has great plans in stall for me in these trying times.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment