(Photos from the top: kids and myself (my hair is not the shortest anymore!); Andries and the boys, visit and lekker braai with great friends; cousins on Andries' side; with my sister Karien's boy, James, also two)
We've been back home in London for 10 days now. A hectic 10 days. I didn't sleep on the plane home at all and it took me the better part of three days to get my head and spirit ready for the next leg of our stay.
We had a fantastic time in South Africa - wish we could stay longer and see more people. We will have to come and make up at a later stage....
While visiting SA I saw a physiotherapist that specialises in the treatment of lymphoedema. Lymphoedema is a risk due to treatment of breast cancer. Lymph is a colourless fluid which forms in the body and is normally drained. Lymph nodes acts as filters and also play an important part in the body's defence against infection by removing excess protein, dead or abnormal cells and bacteria. If this drainage becomes blocked or damaged, lymph will accumulate in the tissue and swelling occurs. Lymhoedema can lead to changes in the tissue such as hardness and an increased risk of infection. The swelling can then become even more difficult to control. In my situation, where 18 lymph nodes were removed, lymphoedema will always be an issue. The therapist suggested that I wear an arm sock on the flight back to the UK and also on days when I am going to use the arm a lot. She also showed me good exercises to help the muscles encourage the flow of fluid through the vessels.
My sister-in-law also treated me to a fantastic massage session with a lady that specialises in oncology massages. It helped so much to get the swelling of my hand and arm down, not to mention how wonderfully relaxing it was!
I also had an appointment with my breast specialist yesterday, just a check up. All is well and he is satisfied with the results five months post-op. Some days I can't believe that I am so close to the one year mark of my breast cancer diagnosis - it feels super surreal!
Little Hugo is still on school holiday and will be back three hours a morning, five days a week this coming Monday. I've also put Ivan's name down, but he can only go once he turned 30 months (still a while, since he turned two on the 4th of April).
When we arrived in London we were greeted with beautiful flowers all along the road back home as well as marvelous sunshine. The day light hours are also increasing every day and sunset is only around 20:00 in the evenings. If it seems late, wait till June, then the sun only sets around 21:20! But we enjoy very day as it comes. Because every single day will always hold in something beautiful, something special. I hope your next couple of days will also be special and cherished.
Liewe, lieflike Lourika,lekker om weer jou "stem" op die blog te "hoor"! Daar's ALWEER armsvol mense wat groete en drukkies stuur, so hier kom dit: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX en DRRRUKKK en LLLIEFFFDE!
ReplyDelete